22 August 2017

How To Monitor Your Grades on Excel + FREE Spreadsheet Template


Hey everyone!

If you're receiving your GCSE results tomorrow, I wish you the best of luck!

For those of you in year 9 or 10, I thought I would share with you how I monitored my grades from year 10 mocks through to year 11 mocks (and GCSEs soon!) to record my progress.

Why is it important to do this?

-I hear you ask in a slightly cynical and "I'm too busy for this" tone! Well:  It is important to keep on track during exam season of how well you're doing as you can get lost in the sea of subjects. I found that keeping all my grades in one place cleared my head a little and meant I didn't have to try and think of target grades, what I used to get, what I get and what I want to get. In short: minimal effort long term, quite a bit of effort for half an hour!


How to do it
1) First of all, you need to open up Excel (or Numbers on Apple). You're going to be faced with a lot of blank boxes and a slight hint of panic if you've never used this software before as it looks very complicated! (it's not, don't panic).

2) To start with, create a vertical column of your subjects as you can see in the picture above. Make these bold to distinguish them as titles in the future.

3) Under each subject, leave a row for each individual paper as well as a total/final column and an average column.

4) In the top horizontal row, label each column as follows: x, x, Target, Predicted, Grade,  Possible Mark, Mark, Percentage, Final Grade (and past mock results if applicable)

5) In the first column titled "x" you will have your subjects from step 2, and in the second "x" column you need to title your individual paper names, including total/final marks and averages.

6) In the next two columns you will insert your target and predicted grades. In my school, target grades were generated by a system using results from SAT and CAT exams taken in year 6 and year 7. Predicted grades were based on both classwork and mock results. If this is not the way it is in your school, edit as required. 

7) The next column is your grades column, i.e. where you put your grade for each paper. For your final/total, you should make an estimate - or literally use an average as you will be doing the 9-1 exams! To create an average on Excel use this formula (but with boxes selected in place of x) : (=x+x+x/number of boxes selected)

8) The next two columns are quite simple: How many marks the paper was out of in the first column and how many marks you actually got in the second column. This is really where average and total marks come in as you get a better overview for that subject.

9) In the percentage column, do a percentage for each paper, including average and total. The formula for this on excel is: (=your marks/available marks *100) 

10) For your Final Grade column, insert the final grade you got for each subject! 

11) For each set of mocks, I created a new tab, so a new spreadsheet within the same file. This means you can flick between your results easily. As you can see in the example above, I also included the results from my first set of mock results so I could see how my results varied from first to last set of mocks to see where I had improved.

12) If you like, you can now go through your results and colour code them to show whether you felt like it was a good result or whether you think you could do better next time.


Can't be bothered to do all that? Use my FREE, editable spreadsheet template!

Opt in for FREE Spreadsheet Template


Good luck!

// Jeani

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having trouble at the moment with replying to comments but I would like you to know that I really appreciate your comment and would love to have a discussion with you elsewhere about this blog post!

Thank you // Jeani