28 September 2016

Bras // Verbal Spill

I was thinking about bras, and I suppose boobs as well. As a girl who has these (just), i can safely say they can be a pain in the arse.

There are many discussions I could have about boobs today, for example, the frustrating ridiculous expectations that girls have to live up to of big boobs and yet, generally, stores only cater for people of my chest size. Please, tell me the logic of this. We could also discuss the debate of whether boobs are sexual or whether society has made them appear that way. We could talk about breastfeeding, breast cancer, breast problems but I think I'm going to be slightly more philosophical.

So I pose the question:

"Is it better to feel comfortable and supported but trapped, than free and empowered but in pain?"

I sort of like the feeling of going bra-less, I've basically only ever done this a maximum of five times since developing boobs, but for some reason it's quite empowering when you just do it, when you can't be bothered to take the bra off. However, personally, I don't find bras particularly restrictive, they feel quite comfortable to me, but I am aware that this is not the case for everybody and a lot of people feel trapped in their bras. This inspired the above question. Now, stop thinking about boobs for a moment.  Ask yourself the question. What situations come to mind?

I think there are many situations in life where you feel comfortable and supported, but trapped. For example, living with your parents, not "coming-out" as gay, not identifying as a feminist, being in a secure friendship group that you don't really like anymore etc etc. Is it better to be in that situation than taking the plunge? I don't think so. Using the example above, you can't live with your parents forever, you just can't, and when you move out it's going to be difficult, it will be a shock, but you will grow as a person and become more independent, brave and strong.

It might feel like the right thing to do, to avoid the stress of the scary thing, but if you dare to identify as a feminist (for example) you will find parts of yourself that you never before knew existed and be able to see the strength that you have to deal with people who disagree with you, learn to accept other people's beliefs and respect the things that they say, learn new interpretations of the world to help to form what you believe. If you continue to not dare to have your own opinions, you will never know how you really feel or what you really think. You have got to put yourself out there and dare to try something new, because it might be painful...

But you will be free

// Jeani





2 comments:

  1. I love the philosophical approach you've taken to these topic! Thinking about going braless also... it could take some time but thank-you for inspiring me to restart the internal debate I have with myself daily ♡ Lily xx

    meetmeinmelford.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you give such wonderful comments, thank you!!! I much prefer these type of comments to the ones which are like "great post, follow me back?", don't you agree?

      Anyway, I do a lot of philosophical stuff, I'm really glad you liked this post! Have you thought about going braless before? Why? xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having trouble at the moment with replying to comments but I would like you to know that I really appreciate your comment and would love to have a discussion with you elsewhere about this blog post!

Thank you // Jeani