12 July 2016

What do teenage girls think about feminism?

Hello! I am starting a series of videos where I talk to different types of people about their opinions on feminism so I can get a well-rounded view of the movement and can generally just view it through other people's eyes and perhaps gain a new set of perspectives.
Here is the first video, filmed with my best friend who happens to be a teenage girl. I wanted to start with someone who is the same age as me and therefore has a similar amount of knowledge and understanding of the subject. We are just being introduced to this massive movement which has been around for roughly a century and we are just really getting to grips with what it's all about, still learning about empowerment and inequality. In this video we talk about our initial thoughts and what we currently think about certain aspects within feminism, because, of course, we have only skimmed the surface of a massive conversation. 
We both agree that before the internet and self-education through YouTube, we had never really heard of feminism other than the history of Emmeline Pankhurst and women's fight for rights in the early 20th century, there is next to no education about modern feminism. Over the past few years there has been a rise in the number of young people openly identifying as feminists, this rise in feminism has also caused a rise in anti-feminism, which has really made access to information about women's rights a lot more available on the internet as it is currently a very large discussion across the world. Being at high school, we generally heard a lot of negative slurs from the teenage boys that throw around 'funny' sexist comments like tennis balls, but it always made me flinch as though they were throwing around my new iphone. This was when I first started looking into slut shaming and realising that that was really wrong and I would start arguing against that.

So, in this video we explore many thoughts and confusions that we have had, I hope you enjoy! If you have any questions please comment below!




Important links to thing mentioned in the video:
http://youtu.be/FgK3NFvGp58 - intersectional feminism
http://youtu.be/gkjW9PZBRfk - Emma Watson UN speech 
http://youtu.be/g3KYm5AHdbs - Hannah Witton on feminism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having trouble at the moment with replying to comments but I would like you to know that I really appreciate your comment and would love to have a discussion with you elsewhere about this blog post!

Thank you // Jeani