9 November 2015

My favourite song "I'm still here" by John Rzeznik (The Goo Goo Dolls)

This song is featured in a scene from one of my childhood Disney movies "Treasure Planet".

I used to watch this movie on Sunday afternoons when my Dad was home because it was always his favourite Disney movie so watching it now gives me a strong sense of nostalgia.

I love where the song is placed in the movie; it shows us Jim's childhood - his Dad leaving and never saying goodbye, while at the same time showing us his father-and-son-like bond with John Silver growing.

It's a very emotional song that I think everyone can relate to - it's about not ever fitting again and always being targeted for being different and I think everybody can relate to that. One of my favourite quotes is "how can the world want me to change; they're the ones that stay the same" which I think is a really powerful quote that sums up society perfectly.  There are several other incredible quotes in this song such as "they can't break me as long as I know who I am" which is a quote that I can entirely relate to as it connects to the bullying I went through last year and I constantly told myself things very similar to that. Also "I am a question to the world, not an answer to be heard" which opens the song and I think that sums up the song perfectly because its really the message of the song. I like how it says exactly what it wants to say but it leaves questions, I think that sentence can only really be understood by people who have been through that like myself. We are the questions that nobody really understands, like it says in 'The Mob Song' in 'the Beauty and the Beast' "we don't like what we don't understand in fact it scares us", which is a dig at society because people don't like different. Society doesn't see us and be instantly satisfied because we leave questions that they can't answer and it frustrates them and because they don't understand it they take digs and try and make us like them by forcing us down and I think that's the meaning of that line.

The power behind the song just makes my heart skip every time I hear it and several times made me cry because of the emotion behind it. I think it's beautiful. The way it builds up is truly heart gripping and so emotional - it makes a smile come to my cheeks and tears water down my cheeks and my heart to skip. I really cannot describe the feeling in my chest when I hear this song because it justs fills you up with... with... I don't even know!!! It's like the feeling of when you think of a happy memory with someone who once loved you but they tore you into tiny pieces and threw you away. That feeling.

Reader, you should listen to it because it may change your life.

Ellie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having trouble at the moment with replying to comments but I would like you to know that I really appreciate your comment and would love to have a discussion with you elsewhere about this blog post!

Thank you // Jeani