6 November 2015

Deep thinking - My Generation

In my opinion, there are several problems with the way my generation lives. Not just the way we live but the way we think, act and speak.

There is no respect for each other or sensitive topics of conversation, there are no aspirations and goals, nobody has individual thought as individuality is frowned upon by society.

If for one moment, people forgot about looking cool or grown up or nonchalant I think the world would be a better place. 

It has become uncool to enjoy doing things you love, if a boy does drama he is then referred to as "gay" by his peers. Boys are forbidden emotion; they're not aloud to love or feel pain or empathy or loss because it 'makes them look weak'.

Another thing that I cannot understand about my generation is the obsession with sex; its gross. There are twelve year olds sending nudes and it has become normal, as has hearing the word 'slut' and other horrible words that just should not be used in every day conversation without at least whispering them. 

If for the slightest moment everyone took a step back and actually looked I think we would become better people with individual opinions and ideas, whereas at the moment everyone thinks as one because people laugh at you and exclude you if you think outside the box and walk in your own direction.  My best friends are afraid of what people, we don't even like, think of them, terrified of standing out and being themselves incase they are called out upon it. I believe that everyone should forget that and be what we want to be. 

I have always done my best to not blend in, be the bright pink in a sea of grey and brown and black colours. I know from experience that standing out is hard. I know that peer pressure literally pushes you down and forces you into the crowd like a weight that is dragging you from that freedom of being who you are and doing what you love. It is next to impossible to carry on and stand your ground because people are constantly kicking you down. Last year I went through a lot of teasing; I have a youtube channel and the entire school had fun laughing at it, everyone knew who I was but not in a good way. Wherever I went I was looking over my shoulder terrified that someone would laugh at me or try to kick me down again because literally everyone and anyone would. But I carried on doing what I love and I am better for it. I know it's cliche but it does make you stronger. When I was in that difficult time I became obsessed with my looks; people made me feel worthless and I think that I thought that being pretty would make them notice me as someone worthwhile and someone people loved and looked up to. In a weird way, it made me want to stand out more. I wore the clothes that I wanted to wear, I did everything I could to be different because I was determined not to back down and become like them. I now know that I did the right thing by carrying on doing what I love because that's my choice and you should never stop doing something that you enjoy just because other people make you feel embarrassed or like you shouldn't or you can't because you can. 

Where I really wanted to go with this was my generations lack of dreams. I have so many more aspirations than growing up, having kids, getting a good job. I want to go places and do and see amazing things and meet incredible people that touch my heart and teach me things that I could never learn in an office or maths class. I wanted to tell anyone reading this that its your life and your choice. You do not have to live how you are told to live. You do not have to have one pool holiday a year for the rest of your life, you can go where you want to and live your life how you want to live it. If someone tells you it shouldn't be that way then they are wrong because you should do what you want and always work towards that.

So what I think I really want to say, is that you should be weird. Be that person that people know, don't shy away from it because, really, they're just afraid of you because you're not like them, and thats ok. It's ok. Infact its more than ok, it's brilliant because people know you for you and over time people start to respect you and see past what everyone else thinks. I want you tomorrow to do one thing out of your comfort zone that makes you happy; you will be better for it

Ellie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having trouble at the moment with replying to comments but I would like you to know that I really appreciate your comment and would love to have a discussion with you elsewhere about this blog post!

Thank you // Jeani